403 forbidden error on logout after successful password change

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Alex Rollin 4 years, 5 months ago.

We have moved to a support ticketing system and our forums are now closed.

Open Support Ticket
  • Author

Andy
    Free User

After a successful password change using the UsersWP Change Password page, clicking the logout menu link returns a 403 forbidden error, and the user remains logged in.

The logout menu link works fine in all other circumstances that I have seen (including a visit to the Change Password page without submitting the form, and also after an unsuccessful password change).

The logout URL is no different when this happens. No error logged.

If I visit another UsersWP page after this happends, or revisit the Change Password page, I can logout with no problem.

Pretty strange that it only happens right after a successful password change but it is completely consistent for me.

I’ll look a little further and post again if I find anything.

Andy
    Free User

I have more information on this.

The logout fails inside function check_admin_referer which is in wp-includes/pluggable.php.

A comment at the top of the function says “Ensures intent by verifying that a user was referred from another admin page with the correct security nonce.”

It seems that the security nonce at the end of the logout URL changes after a password change. However, it is not updated on the page menu immediately after a password change.

If I revisit the page or visit a different UsersWP page then the nonce in the URL updates which explains why the logout is then successful. I thought before the URL was exactly the same but I was wrong.

So looks like you need to get the new nonce after password change?

Alex Rollin

Thanks Andy, the developers are looking into it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

We have moved to a support ticketing system and our forums are now closed.

Open Support Ticket